Monday, February 2, 2009

Where we're going...

My mom always used to tell me that growing up, I was never a fan of shows like Sesame Street or Barney. All I wanted to watch was Food Network. It is because of this, I believe, that I have developed a love for all things culinary. I love to eat, try new things, experience new cultures, and experiment with recipes, tastes, and flavor profiles of my own. I come from a large family, half Greek (and food-loving) and half Irish, and I know that this is something that has shaped my passion for food and the various ways in which food can bring people together. As a journalism major at UMass Amherst, I am in a great, diverse area that has a number of really fantastic restaurants just around any corner. So…my plan for this blog as of yet is to be able to take viewers to various restaurants all around Western Massachusetts, specifically in the Amherst and Northampton areas without them actually having to go! This way, all they’ll have to do is read a review, and allow it to help them make or break their decision to try out an eatery. As for myself, I hope that this blog will be an outlet for me to publish my work in an environment where everyone can see it...so that one day, when I'm applying for a job at Gourmet or Bon Appetit, I will be able to say, "Well hello Mr. or Ms. 'Super Important Editor-In-Chief' of my favorite magazine ever, I invite you to take a look at my blog, where you can get a feel for not only my writing style, but also for my personality and my passion for food." We’ll see how it works…it’s an experiment in the making, but I hope that it will prove to be a way to open many doors to many great opportunities.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alex,

    At 3 years old you loved to sit and watch any cooking show that was on T.V. You would switch from one channel to the next and you would memorize recipes! Dad and I should have known back then, that you would love to cook and that you would be great at it. I hope your experiment proves to be all that you want it to be. You are combining your two loves: food and writing.

    Love Always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete